Thursday 19 December 2013

The Essence of 'Idol' - NMB48's 'Kimi to Deatte Boku wa Kawatta'


While I enjoy some of the ***48 groups' releases, I would not call myself an avid follower and so it wasn't until the other day that I stumbled across this song by Osaka-flavour group NMB48. It turns out
that this great little song, 'Kimi to Deatte Boku wa Kawatta', is one of the B-sides to AKB's impossibly long titled new single.

The thing that really struck me about this song was the fact that it had this sort of energy and hopeful-ness that I immediately associate with idols. It is classic and old-fashioned without being deliberately retro in the same way as the likes of 'Koisuru Fortune Cookie'. I confess, I could not name a single one of these girls but they hold your attention because a lot of them radiate personality and character in the exact way that an idol should.

I began thinking, what other songs would you say had this same pure "essence of idol". Some of the ones that came to my mind were Morning Musume's 'Ai Araba it's all right' and Speed's 'Body and Soul'. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment