Friday 2 August 2013

Idol Spotlight: IDOL COLLEGE (アイドルカレッジ)

Today I happened to stumble across a music video by 'Idol College', a group I'd never crossed paths with before. That video was for a song called 'YOZORA' which, as I understand, was one half of a double A-side single released back in February.


The song itself is nothing particularly special but it is however up-beat and just generally good fun. And everybody loves idols dancing on rooftops. The 'drama' scenes in the video are rather dull but a bit of rooftop and some amazingly gaudy royal blue uniforms make up for that. To go back to the song, I find that the melody sounds slightly familiar but I can't place it so I'll try not to let it bother me.

It turns out that the other A-side on this single was a song called 'Shoujo Sotsugyou' which replaces the synths of YOZORA with a more pop-rock orientated instrumentation. The melody however, remains simple and sweet.

 
 This video is, in my opinion, not quite as enjoyable but considering the groups status as a fairly small-time idol group I'm not really expecting the world. 
 
To give a bit of background on the group, they were originally formed in 2009 as 'B.L.T. Idol College' in connection with the magazine 'B.L.T.'. A few singles were released under this name before the whole group "graduated". The group was then given a revamp and new members were found.

The group's new album 'IDOL COLLEGE no Tsutaetai Koto' has just been released, debuting at 29 on the Oricon chart. While I don't think I will be splashing my non-existent cash on a whole album just yet, I am looking forward to seeing what else IDOL COLLEGE has to offer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment